Monday, November 29, 2010

RIP: Leslie Nielson

What brought me out of hiding: So here I was playing a late night session of Assissin's Creed II (Yes, I'm behind the times) When I logged on to the internet and discovered that Leslie Nielson just died!

About 4 years ago I was training at Panavision to be their back up projectionist. I exited the private screening room to bump into someone. Disoriented, I looked up to stare into the striking blue eyes of Leslie Nielson. Flabbergasted, I struck out my hand like a good Panavision employee and stated "I'm a big fan Mr. Nielson." He took my hand with both of his and mightily shook it!

The truth is, I WAS a HUGE fan!

All the way back to his debut as Commander J.J. Adams (J.J. Abrams, is that your REAL name???) of the United Planets Cruiser C-57D in the AMAZING & EPIC Sci-Fi masterpiece Forbidden Planet, to the captain of the ill fated SS Poseidon in Irwin Allen's the Poseidon Adventure! I remember, as a small child, being devastated as the tsunami barreled down on the doomed ship, with Mr. Nielson staring death straight in the eye! And who could forget him as Dr. Rumack in Airplane! "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley." Or in Creepshow, or Repossessed, or Disney's Swamp Fox, or Night Gallery, or any of the countless film and television shows he brought to the screen. I'm sure most will remember him as Lt. Frank Drebin on Police Squad! and it's film adaptations The Naked Gun and it's sequels.

It takes a lot to emerge from cybernetic hiding, but my brush with greatness did it!

This is one of those deaths, along with the likes of Deforest Kelley, Jimmy Doohan, George Carlin, & Michael Jackson that reminds me that childhood is over. One of those deaths that reminds me about celebrity mortality, on a personal level.

Mr. Nielson, May a choir of angels sing you to your graces, and may your nose grow long when St. Peter asks why you deserve entrance through heaven's gates!

P.S. "I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you."

1 comment:

  1. The movies he stars in are the only time I have seen my dad cry, with laughter. I know there are others who feel the same way. Leslie will keep on truckin' in spirit!

    ReplyDelete